No fewer than 500 benefitted from free medical outreach while 10 patients were offered free surgical intervention in Shao, Moro Local Government Area of Kwara state on Monday.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the intervention was at the instance of the National Association of Resident Doctors, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH).
Speaking earlier while addressing newsmen, Dr. Salihu Olaitan, ARD President, said the Medical outreach is part of activities marking the 36th Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the Association.
He explained that about 40 medical experts are on ground, at Shao for the medical outreach, adding that they will provide free medical consultation with free prescriptions and select minor surgical procedures to be done free of charge.
Olaitan explained this is an attempt, to bridge the huge health care gap in the community in line with ARD-UITH’s social responsibility to her community.
He stated that the event will include scientific conference, on Wednesday, where a burning issue within the health sector i.e ‘Medical Tourism’ will be discussed.
Olaitan also appealed to the management of the UITH and the government at large to put in place necessary infrastructures accross the Teaching Hospitals in Nigeria, while also calling for better welfare for members.
Speaking at the sidelines of the outreach, Dr Tijjani Abdulrasheed, Vice-President of ARD, disclosed that the outreach is part of corporate social responsibility of the association.
He said this is the first time the association is including surgical intervention in its medical outreach.
Abdulrasheed disclosed some of the common ailments among patient to include hypertension, diabetes, sickle-cell anaemia and glaucoma among others.
Also speaking, Dr Adaramola Samuel, Secretary of the Medical and Surgical outreach Committee explained that the association in conjunction with Quinta Health will also offer breast cancer examination.
In his reaction, Mr Adewuyi Samuel, a Community Leader in Shao, commended the humanitarian gesture of ARD, while appealing to them to make it a yearly surgical outreach in their communities.
- Kwara Governor Mourns As Ex-Women Affairs Commissioner Dies In Auto-Crash
- Naira Redesign: How CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele deceived Buhari— Oshiomhole
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes
- Buhari has indeed subdued Boko Haram — Buratai
- Peter Obi appeals for calm over cash crunch, challenges banks
- How I confronted insurgency as COAS – Buratai
- Kwara Speaker celebrates Gov. Abdulrazaq at 63
- 2023 polls: Buratai solicits support for Tinubu, APC
- CAN felicitates Kwara Gov., AbdulRazaq at 63