Telecommunications giant MTN says over 10,000 women have benefited from its entrepreneurship and medical outreach programmes in six states in the last five years.
Mrs Chinyelu Onochie, a Senior Marketing Manager with MTN, disclosed this on Sunday in Lagos at an event organised by Nnena and Friends to commemorate this year’s Mothers Day.
The MTN official said that the beneficiaries were drawn from Oyo, Abia, Ogun, Katsina, Niger and Delta States.
According to her, the medical outreach entails providing pre-natal and ante-natal care for pregnant women.
She said that MTN also embarked on awareness programme on infant maternal mortality in the rural areas in about 24 states in the past two years.
She said the company had built primary health care centres in 28 states to ensure proper pre-natal and post-natal care for women in rural areas.
“We are going to do more of women entrepreneurship this year, especially in rural areas because we believe these are the people who need it most.
“We sponsored this programme to educate women so that they don’t become victims of maternal infant mortality and also in celebration of motherhood,” she said.
Also speaking, Mrs Toyin Onigbongbo, a baby nutritionist, urged mothers to ensure children were fed food fortified with iron, vitamins A and C which are needed for their growth.
”Don’t just feed children with junks; ensure they get the basic nutrients they need for their growth, this is very important.
”In view of our busy schedules as mothers, we should ensure we create time to prepare fresh meals for the kids and inculcate fruits and vegetables,” she said.
Olayinka Ademo, originator of Nnena and Friends television series, said Mother’s Day should be celebrated everyday considering the huge tasks mothers undertook daily.
She said the challenges of being a mother were quite enormous and as such mothers should be appreciated everyday by their husbands and children.
Veteran actress, Hilda Dokunbo, advised mothers to remain dutiful to their responsibilities as mothers so as to raise responsible children.
According to her, ”I will advice all mothers to be in control of their time, be time conscious so that you can achieve a lot considering your numerous roles.
“Always carry God along in all your dealings and build discussion time with your children so that you can be sensitive to their needs.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents