A 100-year-old woman died after being raped by a drunk man in northern India, police said on Tuesday.
The crime took place in a village in Uttar Pradesh state’s Meerut district late Sunday night.
“The elderly woman was sleeping on the verandah of her house when she was attacked by the inebriated man.
“She was taken hospital where she passed away on Monday,” police officer Rajesh Kumar said by phone.
Police added that a suspect in his twenties has been arrested and charged him with rape and murder.
“The man said he was innocent,’’ media reports said.
India has been in the spotlight in recent years over incidents of sexual violence against women.
In 2012, the fatal gang rape of a student on a bus in New Delhi led to massive public outcry and tougher laws.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide