Another batch of 1,150 criminals, including cattle rustlers, bandits and kidnappers in Anchau, Kubau Local Government area of Kaduna State have repented.
750 others in the village had sworn by the Holy Qur’an a month ago to abandon their criminal ways of life.
ASP Mukhtar Aliyu, Spokesman of Kaduna State Police Command, told newsmen on Monday in Kaduna that the criminals repented over the weekend after contacts with community leaders.
He said that the effort was part of the disarmament programme initiated by the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris and in promotion of community policing being pursued by the Commissioner of Police, Mr Austin Iwar.
Aliyu said that part of the programme was that those who renounced violence would also handover their weapons to government.
“If you want to solve a problem you have to work with people that created the problem.
“We held series of meetings with hunters as prelude to the series of activities we call Renouncing Violence Strategies,” he added.
Also, Malam Audu Sallau, Head of Vigilante Service in the local government, attributed the successes recorded so far to the commitment shown by the police, and sought for more support from federal, state local governments to end criminality in the hinterland.
He assured that those who repented did so voluntarily, adding that the area was now relatively peaceful.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal