No fewer than 12 persons have been confirmed dead in a fatal road traffic crash, involving three vehicles at Peke, along Olooru-Okoolowo, Ogbomoso Route in Kwara.
Those involved in the accident included 21 males and one female, in which 12 got burnt and sadly lost their lives, while the remaining 10 sustained various degree of injuries and taken to hospital for treatment.
Kwara Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Corps Commander Stephen Dawulung confirmed the unfortunate accident.
Dawulung said that the burnt corpses were given mass burial on authority of the Hausa Community of Okoolowo.
“On receiving the report of the crash, our operatives at Olooru Unit Command were immediately mobilised to the crash scene for rescue.
“Those involved in the accident was a Tanker, a Trailer and an 18 seater Bus occurred and it occurred around 3:45pm, due to route violation.
“Preliminary investigations revealed that the empty IVECO Tanker coming from Okoolowo committed route violation enroute Ogbomoso, which led to head on collision with the oncoming DAF Truck, which ignited the fire,” he said.
The sector commander said that the Bus which was enroute Katsina was behind the DAF Truck, but due to the excessive speed at which it was moving, he couldn’t control the brake and rammed into the crash.
He deeply sympathized with families of the dead and wish the injured quick recovery.
Dawulung thereby advised drivers to avoid taking wrong lanes, driving with excessive speeds, night journeys and ensure they maintain a safe distance between vehicles ahead, to enable them maneuver whenever the need arises.
He reiterated that investigation officers had commenced full investigation into the crash, assuring that the command was committed to discharging its responsibilities in ensuring the safety of all road users.
- (PHOTOS) NLC Protest: Mammoth crowd hit Abuja streets over hardship
- Oyebanji Unveils N12bn Economic Relief Programme
- (PHOTOS) Ex-Finance Minister, Okonjo-Iweala bags Timor Leste’s second highest national honour
- Kwara CP sues for peaceful demonstration ahead of planned protest (FULL STATEMENT)
- Nnamdi Kanu knows fate on fresh bail battle March 19
- Ex-DSP, Ekweremadu commends Nigerians for solidarity, prayers
- 16, 920 applicants jostle for UNILORIN’s admission
- 3 kids of same parents die of suffocation in Ilorin
- SERAP sues Wike, 36 govs ‘over failure to account for missing N40trn LGAs allocations’
- Lifted sanctions: Begin democratic process now, Northern Senators task Niger