Oyegun says Atiku’s departure from APC is a sign of better things to come for the party.
He also described the PDP as a party whose house is not in order.
Oyegun allays fears of impact of Atiku’s defection on APC’s political strength.
The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, has disclosed that the defection of former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, will not have any negative impact on the party’s fortune at the 2019 general elections.
Speaking further, he said the Peoples Democratic Party to which Atiku defected, does not have the structure and personnel to challenge APC.
Oyegun, made his mind known, while speaking at his investiture as the national life grand patron of the Association of Former Local Government Chairmen and Counsellors.
The event held at the national secretariat of the APC in Abuja, yesterday.
Addressing the association, Oyegun warned them not to be like the Inter Party Advisory Council (IPAC), which, he alleged, has eroded its credibility by being reduced to an endorsement group of one election or the other.
“Let nobody fear that the defection of the former vice president is going to lead to any deluge.”
“ If anybody wants to defect, the day you are defecting is the day you bring out your heavy guns; not later.”
“When you stand and they look at your right and left, they say, ‘Ah! This man has done something great.’ So, don’t ever be afraid that there is going to be any massive defection. As a matter of fact the contrary is the case.”
“The APC is growing in strength on a daily basis. Anybody who is anybody is virtually with the APC today. The reality is, outside the APC, there is no other party that is truly settled, not even the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).”
“They are still fighting about how to get a chairman and the rest of it. Today, they say money has come to buy the chairmanship position. So, it is something you should take pride in… It is just that the remnants of the PDP have found their voice, so, they are screaming very loud and we think the whole country is upside down. It is not.”
“The country is making steady progress and, your party is growing on a daily basis.” Oyegun said.
National Coordinator of the Association of Former Local Government Chairmen and Counsellors , Hon. Mike Omohimua commended Oyegun for his political sagacity with which he has guided the APC since he emerged national chairman of the party.
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated
- How pastors treWe both wept when Sammie Okposo told me how pastors treated him – Apostle Suleman
- My presidential ambition is for Nigeria’s future– Peter Obi
- PDP reschedules campaign flag off in Nasarawa over police permit
- UniAbuja ASUU protest unpaid salaries
- Unilorin V-C extols Prof. Gambari’s virtues @ 78