Former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd) has berated political gladiators in the country over unbridled rendition of hate speeches, saying such is only capable of dismembering the nation.
In a press release captioned ” My counsel to the country”, and made available to the press in Minna on Sunday, denied ever engaging anybody on the issue of 2019 general elections and beyond.
He pecifically expressed the dire need for proactive measures to stop farmers/herders clashes in the middle belt, Cattle rustling, armed robbery, kidnapping, gangsterism and cultism.
Babangida also challenged security agencies to step up surveillance with more efforts on intelligence gathering for maximum success.
According to him, “Recent happenings and utterances by political gladiators is alarming and not in the interest of common man that is already overstretched and apparently living from hand to mouth due to precarious economic conditions.
“Despite all these challenges, I am optimistic that the political actors will play within the ambits of political norms and decorum to ameliorate the problems facing our society ”
He further said: “I, the former President berate some people who find democratic freedom as an avenue for eroding democracy by antics of hate speeches under the guise of religion, tribal or self imposed mentorship, lamenting that pitching political class and the people is unhealthy and skewed.
“The clamour for re-alignment of governance in the country as we are approaching 2019 election year is a welcome development only if the agitations are genuinely channeled through legislation and total supremacy of the constitution. Any attempt outside this circle of democratic tenets is deceptive and divisive idea capable of plunging our political journey into disarray”
“It is high time that, we dialogue more on any issue in order to have a political solution on any problem affecting us. It is sad that, Nigeria had its fare share of conflicts, and we cannot continue to fall back to those dark years of bloodshed.”
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity
- Why Gov Abdulrazaq will secure second term– Commissioner
- SAD…. Ilorin-born varsity don, Sulyman Gurumoh is dead
- BREAKING…Dogara dumps APC for PDP
- Adeleke commences salary payment, vows to restore good governance