The 2019 Budget Estimate has passed through Second Reading at the floor of the Hous, ROYAL NEWS reports.
This followed the conclusion of debate on the general principles of the budget by members.
The Speaker, Dr. Ali Ahmad, while calling on the Clerk of the House, Hajia Halimat Jummai Kperogi, to read the Appropriation Bill for the second time, praised members for their commitments and directed that appearance of Ministries Department Agencies (MDAs)for budget defence be completed early, to ensure presentation of the report by Tuesday.
In his presentation, the Deputy Speaker, Chief Mathew Okedare,had praised the House, for ensuring the passage of budget before the end of the outgoing year and enjoined the House to give priority to the education sector, to further enhance the wellbeing of the future generation of the state.
Other members who spoke on the budget,were members representing Edu, Kaiama/Kemanji/Wajibe, Gweria/Bani/Adena, Owode/Onire, Odo-Ogun and Oke-Ogun Constituencies, Hons. Aliyu Ishiaku Adams, Ahmed Ibn Mohammed, Suleiman Baziki, Abdul Rasheed Taiwo Abdullahi, Hajia Sikirat Anako and Barrister Kamal Fagbemi.
However, the chairman House Committee on Agriculture and Water Resources, Hon. Ishiaku Adams, disclosed that allocation of N279m to agricultural sector was far below Maputo Declaration that 10% of the total budget be allocated to the sector and urged the House to address it.
Also the chairman House Committee on Health and Environment Hon. Ibn Mohammed insisted that of the 13 rural roads to be constructed next year, in which 10 number of roads will be constructed in Kwara South, 2 roads in Central and one North Senatorial District be addressed to enhance movement of agricultural products to urban centre.
- SAD….34-year-old Sodiq Adebisi dies during football training
- 150 Days in Office: CDS, Gen. CG Musa: A Pragmatic silent achiever
- Ibadan-based herbalist, Ojuwoni Atakoro, one other remanded in Ilorin prison
- Proper use of national budget, critical to economic dev —Akpabio
- EFCC, DSS, NCoS bosses To Face Reps C’ttee Over Failed Attempt To Rearrest Emefiele
- Senator Hussaini sympathises with Kaduna people over misdirected bombing
- Senator Natasha seeks NCDMB, NAFDAC partnership on alternative medicine
- Senate gives NPA 48hrs ultimatum to produce unaccounted $1.8bn
- KWASACA seeks stakeholders’ support to end HIV/AIDS by 2030
- Kwara govt collaborates with NDLEA to fight drug abuse