As politicians brace up for the 2019 general elections, the Church Of Christ In Nations (COCIN), has tasked the Federal Government to ensure a free, fair and credible exercise.
Rev. Dachollom Datiri, its President, gave the charge at the 95th General Council of the Church, held on Tuesday in Jos.
He tasked the Federal Government to ensure that all political parties were given equal opportunity to try their popularity.
Datiri called on politicians to avoid desperation for power and positions, and emphasised the need to place national interest above selfish considerations.
The COCIN president admonished the Church’s leaders to shun partisan politics, and resist the temptation to be used by desperate politicians.
He urged members to vote on election days, saying that they should vote according to their conscience and avoid selling their rights.
The COCIN leader called on the Plateau and Federal governments to resettle the 38,000 persons displaced by the violence that recently hit parts of the state, saying that many of them were anxious to return home and should be assisted to do so.
He decried the “abysmal” living conditions in the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), camps, saying that many of the camps were not fit for human habitation.
“The refugees cannot be allowed to live in the IDPs camps indefinitely; government must ensure that they are resettled in their ancestral homes with adequate security provided,” he said.
Earlier, Mr Solomon Dalung, Minister for Youth and Sports, had tasked religious bodies to support the fight against corruption, and commended COCIN for its proactive steps toward improving the living conditions of the IDPs.
Mr Solomon Maren, a member of the House of Representative, in his remarks, called on the Church to remain united and also enjoined Christians to participate actively in politics.
The General Church Council, which commenced on Nov. 12, will end on Nov. 16.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday
- 2023: Be careful of politicians’ craftiness– Don warns journalists
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion