Former president, Goodluck Jonathan has stated that only a man with the strength of character and clear conscience like Senator David Mark is needed to rebuild a fragmented and disunited Nigeria in 2019.
Playing host to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential hopeful in his Yenogoa home, Jonathan said Nigeria has never been so disunited than now, saying “we are only existing superficially and this is very dangerous.”
Beside the issue of dwindling economy and worsening insecurity, the former president stated that the major problem the next President would face is the challenge of uniting the country and giving every section a sense of belonging.
Jonathan stressed that every right-thinking Nigerian should crave for peace and unity “if we must continue to stay together”. He said staying together is what everyone desires “because the global community respects and value us because of our size and population.”
He recalled: “As President of Nigeria, I worked harmoniously with Mark as President of the Senate. He demonstrated patriotism and loyalty to his fatherland. His colleagues admitted that he is a detribalized leader. He is the kind of man the nation needs now.”
Jonathan expressed optimism that the PDP would get it right in the 2019 election.
The PDP presidential contender, Mark, in his remark, stated that Nigerians now know the difference between light and darkness, saying that he possesses the experience, knowledge and skills to bring the nation out of the social and economic malaise within two years if elected.
Earlier, Director-General of the David Mark Campaign Organization, Senator Zainab Kure, paid glowing tribute to Jonathan for his uncommon leadership quality and sacrifices made to keep the nation united.
Senator Kure pointed out that Nigerians would forever be grateful to the immediate past president.
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget
- Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service insists on e-payment in hospitals
- Buhari invested more in vulnerable women, youth– Minister
- Buhari’s appointees sabotaging his administration– APC Stakeholders
- INEC won’t disappoint Nigerians in 2023 General Election– REC
- NYSC DG warns corps members against unauthorised trips
- 2023 election: Tinubu’s presidential bid is a divine project – Kekemeke
- 2023 Election: Clergy advises Nigerians to protect their votes
- Civil Society Organisations in Borno empathise with Nigerians over cash crunch
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement