AHEAD of the 2019 general elections, the leadership of Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has advised Muslim voters not to sell their voters’ cards and to cast their votes only for candidates of their choices.
It also urged Nigerians to get registered and collect their permanent voters’ cards (PVC) ready, ROYAL NEWS reports.
MURIC’s Director, Professor Ishaq Akintola, in a statement issued on Wednesday advised Imams in all parts of the country to make the issue of registration for the 2019 elections and the need for Muslims to register as voters the core of their sermons to be delivered in all mosques every Friday beginning from Friday, 27th July, 2018.
He said: “Your vote is your power. You must make it count. But you will have no opportunity to vote if you fail to register. The deadline announced by INEC is 17th August, 2018. We are therefore urging you to go out and register for this coming 2019 election before the ultimatum expires. Do it with determination. You may encounter difficulties and inconveniences. Be patient until you are able to register because it is an assignment and a sacrifice for the comfort of the next five years”.
“Muslim Parents are warned not to allow their children and wards to be used as political thugs. Remember that the children of most politicians are in foreign lands relishing the stupendous wealth stolen by their parents. It is therefore not worth sacrificing the children of the hoi polloi. Besides this, you must note that Nigerian politicians are not worth dying for. The only thing worth dying for is the Nigerian project, not partisanship, not exclusive religiousity and definitely not tribal jingoism.”
Akintola further stressed that, “INEC is alerted to the plot by some unscrupulous ad hoc staff who are in the habit of disenfranchising prospective Muslim voters by ordering female Muslims to remove their hijab while men are asked to remove their caps. Muslims are urged to peacefully but resolutely resist such illegal, unlawful, illegitimate and unconstitutional requests and to forward their complaints to MURIC officials and Muslim leaders”.
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92
- CBN’s cash withdrawal policy’ll enhance financial inclusion – Expert
- DSS, oil marketers set to clear petrol queues in 48 hours
- FG gives update on Ajaokuta Steel resuscitation, legal tussle
- Ex-CAN President, Ayo Oritsejafor’s marriage crashes
- BREAKING…CBN begins distribution of redesigned naira notes to banks