The Independent National Electoral Commission has assured Nigerians of free, fair and credible polls this year.
It added that the agency has no business with election rigging.
The Chief Press Secretary to INEC Chairman, Mr Rotimi Oyekanmi, said this as he dismissed allegations made by the Peoples Democratic Party, that it wants to compromise the forthcoming elections.
Oyekanmi urged the PDP to provide the evidence in its possession to prove its allegations. He said, “Otherwise, the PDP should cure itself of this recurring hallucination which I am sure Nigerians no longer buy. Certainly, INEC is not into the rigging business.”
The PDP had earlier on Wednesday advised INEC to distance itself from an alleged plot to compromise the Electoral Guidelines and pave the way for the alteration of the forthcoming general elections results.
The Director, Media and Publicity, PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation, Kola Ologbondiyan, gave the advice at a news conference on Wednesday in Abuja.
Ologbondiyan alleged that Nigerians were already aware that the commission’s Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, was under pressure to drop the display of results at the polling units as well as the electronic transmission of polled figures to INEC server from its guidelines.
He said that the display of results at the polling units ensured that results posted at all levels remained those originally announced at the various polling units, while the electronic transmission to INEC server ensured that the results from the polling centres were not tampered with.
“Prof. Yakubu must not succumb to the pressure of the Buhari Presidency, because doing so will definitely set him on a collision course with Nigerians,’’ he said
- ASUU: Lectures receive full salaries for November, without arrears
- Osun Speaker, Owoeye meets Governor Adeleke
- Adeleke tasks panels to recover ”looted” state assets
- Lawmaker assures release of detained Nigerian lady in UAE
- Qatar says 500 death toll of World Cup workers recorded
- Justice Nyako seeks appointment of more judges for speedy justice dispensation
- Tinubu in Abuja not in the United States says APC PCC
- Aishatu Gobir delivers UNILORIN 219th Inaugural Lecture Dec. 1
- Late KWASU VC: University Releases Appreciation Notification
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison