The Christian Association of Nigeria says it has not endorsed the presidential ambition of the Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose.
The national leadership of the Christian body, in a statement on Thursday, described its reported endorsement of Fayose for President in 2019 as a farce.
It urged the public to disregard the report.
The statement quoted CAN’s Director of National Issues, Bishop Stephen Adegbite, as stressing that “it is not in the organisation’s character to endorse politicians but to pray to God to choose the right leaders for the country.”
Adegbite said, “It has come to our notice that it is in the media that our secretariat wrote a letter endorsing the candidature of Governor Peter Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State for President come 2019.
“This is a farce and should be completely disregarded by all and sundry.
“CAN, as we all know, is the umbrella body of all Christians in Nigeria; so, how on earth can the organisation come out to support or endorse the candidature of anyone?
“What we do as a body is to pray to God to choose leaders that will do His will and bring comfort to His people through good governance and counsel where necessary. We don’t endorse candidates, we have never done that and we do not intend to start that now.
“We urge all Christians to continue to pray for our country, Nigeria, and for the leadership at the helm of affairs today to succeed in delivering the dividends of democracy to all Nigerians not minding their ethnic or religious colouration.”
- 2023 elections: NUT opens up on candidate to vote
- World Cancer Day: DevComms advocate public literacy for earlier detection
- Fuel Scarcity: Transporters Demand Removal of Sylva, Kyari
- APC postpones presidential campaign rally in Oyo indefinitely
- Ibadan records another protest over scarcity of fuel, new naira notes
- Peter Obi arrives Kwara for Presidential Campaign rally (photos)
- 13 parties vow to withdraw from election if new naira deadline extends
- UNILORIN VC seeks upgrade of molecular lab to public health lab
- Naira, Fuel, scarcity take shine off 44th Kaduna International Trade Fair
- I paid ₦1,000 for litre– Oshiomhole laments fuel scarcity, price