Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum, has approved the sanctioning of 21 health workers found with fake certificates, following a staff verification exercise.
A statement on Monday in Maiduguri by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Communication and Strategy, Malam Isa Gusau, confirmed that the verification also uncovered 91 ghost staff and N23 million being wrongly spent monthly.
Chairman of the committee, Dr. Joseph Jatau revealed this on Monday, in Maiduguri, while presenting the committee’s report to Gov. Zulum at the governor’s office annex at the Musa Usman secretariat.
Dr Jatau explained that among those with fake certificates were nurses, other medical and support staff.
The chairman also disclosed that 91 ghost workers were discovered in the lists of health workers in the state, who had either resigned or withdrawn from service, but their salaries were still being paid in their names.
Similarly, the committee found that some dead, retired and absconded staff were being consistently promoted, with salaries also paid in their names.
He explained that the committee made 13 recommendations that would help reposition the health sector for optimal healthcare service delivery in the state.
“Anyone that fakes certificates in nursing and other medical courses is capable of killing people.
Only God knows how many people they might have harmed or even killed. Honestly, we shouldn’t let this go, we should ensure appropriate actions are served to the culprits.
“I cannot be lenient on matters involving life and death. Importantly also, we have to employ measures to avert future occurrences” , Gusau quoted Zulum saying as he received the committee’s report.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal