A 22-year-old man has been sentenced to death by hanging by an High Court sitting in Ado-Ekiti after he was found guilty of armed robbery.
The judge, Justice Lekan Ogunmoye, while pronouncing the judgement, said the prosecution proved the case against the convict beyond reasonable doubt.
The convict, Alonge Ajayi, appeared in court for the first time on 27th February, 2018 and pleaded not guilty to the charge filed against him.
The charge sheet against Ajayi, who was a member of a three-man robbery gang, said on October 30, 2016 he robbed three worshippers who were coming from the church in Ikere Ekiti in the early hours of the day.
The victims, who testified in court, said the gang who rode on a motorcycle followed them into their compound and pointed gun at them. Items stolen from them included mobile phones, N100,000 and other valuables.
Two other members of the gang were killed during a gun duel with the police at another location but Ajayi was arrested.
- BREAKING…. Anthony Joshua beats Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia
- SAD… Reinhard Bonnke dies at 79
- Bureau of statistics releases new corruption rate ratio in Nigeria
- BREAKING…. Court sentences two ‘Yahoo Yahoo’ boys to 6months jailterm in Ilorin
- Everton fires Manager, Marco Silva
- Nigeria will soon be self-sufficient in rice production— Minister
- Minister launches NAVSA, to create 6million jobs in 10yrs
- Committee of CMDs raises alarm over impending problems
- When will Gov. Abdulrazaq present 2020 budget?
- Senate to IGP: Reduce checkpoints on federal highways