23-year-old man arraigns in court for stealing pepper soup worth N21,800
A 23-year-old man, Daniel Isong, has been arraigned before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court for allegedly attempting to escape from a hotel without paying for beer and pepper soup he consumed.
Isong , is facing a three-count of obtaining under false pretences, breach of peace and stealing.
The prosecutor, Inspector Victor Eruada, had told the court that the accused and one other person who is still at at large, committed the offences on September 12 at Urban Hotel located on Yaya Street, Ogba, Lagos. Read also: 8 arrested in Kano for alleged prostitution
Eruada said: the accused fraudulently obtained bottles of beer and plates of pepper soup worth N21,800 with the promise to pay after consumption but tried escaping without paying for what he consumed.
“He was, however, caught with the help of a waiter who intercepted him, and he was immediately arrested. Read also: Nnamdi Kanu is a criminal, the truth will come to pass—army
The offences contravene Sections 312, 285 and 166 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015, according to the prosecutor and is punishable by up to 3 years in jail.
The accused, however, pleaded not guilty and was granted bail by the Magistrate, Mrs G. O. Anifowoshe in the sum of N25,000, with two sureties in like sum.
She said that the surety must be gainfully employed and should show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The case has now been adjourned till October 16 for mention. Read also: What you need to know about ‘Monkeypox’
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Fuel subsidy: Court stops NLC, TUC, others from embarking on strike
- Kwara Gov meets labour leaders on fuel subsidy removal
- Fuel subsidy: Kwara govt. reduces workdays for civil servants
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic announces retirement from football
- NYSC presents court with documents to prove certificate forgery by Peter Mbah
- Reactions trail ‘drop’ in cooking gas price
- Professionalism and Patriotism: Toun Okewale’s achievements speak loudly
- About 490,000 Job Opportunities Awaiting Nigerians Here—NDPB
- Subsidy: Electricity workers to embark on nationwide strike
- Return missing bullet proof jeeps within 5 days– Zamfara Gov tells Matawalle