The incident occurred on December 8, 2022, around 8pm when the suspect, who drove a Lexus SUV with a customised number plate, Olu of Oya, hit the deceased’s car from the rear and caused damage to the vehicle.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Oyeyemi, in a statement on Thursday, said, “The deceased, Ismail Obafunsho, there and then came down from his car and asked the suspect to come down for them to assess the extent of the damage in order to find a solution to it.
“But the suspect, Adeyemi Babatunde, refused to come down from his vehicle and was making effort to run away.
“This infuriated the deceased, who insisted that the suspect must come down, and he consequently sat on the bonnet of the suspect’s car in order to prevent him from escaping from the scene.
“The suspect later came down and warned the deceased to leave the bonnet of his car if he did not want to waste his life.
“He then went back to the car and drove at top speed which made the deceased fall down from the car, and the car ran over him. Not satisfied, the suspect also reversed the vehicle and ran over the deceased again to ensure that he actually died.
“After completing the act, he ran away with the vehicle.
“He was later traced to his father’s house at Kemta Idi aba area of Abeokuta, where he was arrested by men of the State Motor Traffic Division on December 20, 2022; the vehicle he used to commit the crime was recovered to the station as well.”
The PPRO said the Commissioner of Police, Lanre Bankole, had ordered that the suspect be transferred to the homicide section of the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation and prosecution.
- Naira notes: CBN approves Feb. 10 as new deadline
- Buhari tackling problems others ran from– Tinubu
- Solanke-Koya urges Aviation Minister to reject payment of airfare in foreign currency
- Gusau expresses interest to run for Certified Athletic Administrator Presidency
- Lassa fever death rate raises to 13 in Edo
- APC reveals what will happen as Osinbajo absent at Tinubu’s campaign in Lagos
- Peter Obi takes campaign to Borno, promises to end insecurity
- Distribution of 2.83m mosquito nets begin in Ebonyi
- 2023: Groups target 1million votes for Tinubu in Osun
- Gov. Sanwo-Olu purchases 100 cars for Lagos civil servants