27-year-old tailor, Iliyasu Isah has been been jailed for five months by Kado Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, for criminal breach of trust and cheating.
Isah, who resides at Gwagwalada Abuja, was convicted on a two-count charge.
The judge, Alhaji Ahmed Ado, however, gave the convict an option of N6, 000 fine.
Ado also ordered Isah to pay N25,000 as compensation to the nominal complainant, he advised the convict to desist from committing crime, adding that the sentence would serve as deterrent to other would be offenders.
“It pays to be honest and not cheat people.’’
The convict, who pleaded guilty to the charges, urged the court to temper justice with mercy, explaining that he used the money for an emergency.
Prosecutor Judith Obatomi had told the court that one Nasir Aliyu of Zango Daura Estate, Abuja, reported the matter at the Life Camp Police Station, Abuja, on Sept. 10.
Obatomi said the convict was given a sewing machine sometime in Aug. 2017 to sell for N25,000. She said he sold the machine and dishonestly converted the money to his personal use.
The prosecutor added that Isah confessed to the crime during police investigation and begged for mercy.
Obatomi said the offences were punishable under sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code. (NAN)
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide