The Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, has called for continuous understanding and tolerance among the diverse ethnic groups as well as religions adherents in the country.
This, according to Saraki will enhance and foster the desired peaceful co-existence for the growth of the nation in the face of global economic down-turn and insecurity which is threatening the unity of Nigeria.
The Senate President who spoke on Saturday at the 31st Annual Maolid of Sheikh Ibrahim Niass held the Metropolitan Square along Asa-Dam road in Ilorin the Kwara State capital extolled the virtues of the late sage.
The event witnessed complete shutdown of the entire city of Ilorin as vehicular movement was restricted owing to the influx of participants. Who are in millions.
Saraki who identified dialogue as the legal means of conflict resolution however commended the organizers of the event and thanked God for successful hosting of the programme in the state without any security challenge.
In his remarks, the Kwara State Governor, Alhaji AbdulFatah Ahmed, charged religions leaders across the country to shun all forms hate preaching that can trigger crises among adherents especially youths.
Represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Isiaka Gold, the governor congratulated the group for hosting the 2017 edition its annual event in Ilorin stressing that his administration will continue to create enabling environment for educative, religions and other meaningful activities to thrive in the state.
Meanwhile, the Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari described late Sheikh Ibrahim Niass as a sincere and pious religions cleric whose landmark achievements and legacies have continue to gain importance even many years after his death.
The Emir said: “Today is my happiest day since the day I have been on the throne as the emir of Ilorin. I am highly overwhelmed and I sincerely congratulate Khalifah Sheikh Tijani Niass for his presence as well as Sheik Dahiru Bauchi.”
- Abducted Ondo monarch regains freedom
- Petrol price disparity: Marketers issue seven-day ultimatum
- KWASSIP starts public workfare programme to alleviate poverty
- Again, naira loses to dollar, exchanges at 445.83
- Sanwo-Olu impregnated my mother in 1994 — Delta man claims he’s gov’s son
- Gov Ortom invites Buhari to commission Benue project
- 2023: Why Nigerians should elect Tinubu — Lagos BRT boss
- ICPC arrest: D’banj reacts to alleged Npower fraud
- UK govt finally declared candidate to support in 2023 polls
- Vote en masse for me in 2023, Atiku begs Osun people