Leaders of the 42 political parties involved in presenting a coalition presidential candidate for the 2019 presidential election met in Abuja on Tuesday.
The leaders, who met under the auspices of Coalition of United Political Parties, were said to have agreed that the presidential candidates of all the political parties that emerged at individual primaries would undergo screening.
The leaders, at their meeting, which was held behind closed doors at the Musa Yar’Adua Conference Centre, were also said to have agreed that all the parties would support any candidate picked for the election.
Sources at the meeting said that the leaders of the CUPP were said to have pledged their readiness and commitment to forge a common front to chase out the All Progressives Congress-led administration.
The meeting, which was chaired by the Chairman of the CUPP steering committee, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, also had in attendance the National Chairman of the Social Democratic Party, Chief Olu Falae; National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Prince Uche Secondus; R-APC Chairman, Mr Buba Galadima, and the Leader of the National Intervention Movement, Alhaji Tafawa Belewa.
Also in attendance was a former Governor of Cross River State, Liyel Imoke, and all the chairmen of the over 40 political parties involved in the coalition.
The spokesman for the CUPP, Mr Ikenga Ugochinyere, confirmed the meeting, adding that “the meeting agreed to rescue the country from the gradual drift to a state of economic hopelessness and reign of impunity from the APC.”
He added, “At the meeting, a decision was taken to start the process that will lead to the eventual selection of the consensus candidate for the major opposition parties in Nigeria.
“The CUPP chieftains pledged their readiness and commitment to forge a common front to chase out the incompetent APC administration.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections