Five persons died in a multiple auto crash
at Iju area of Idiroko -Ota Expressway on Wednesday.
The accident, involving a Mack tanker, a Volkswagen Golf, a tricycle and a motorcycle, was said to have occurred at about 10.35 a.
The Zonal Commander, Ogun Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), Mr Adekunle Ajibade, confirmed the accident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Ota.
Ajibade said that one person also sustained injury in the accident, which involved 11 persons — eight male and three female.
The zonal commander said speeding and loss of control was the likely cause of the accident.
“Some of the occupants of some of the vehicles were fortunate to escape death while five of the vehicles’ passengers were unfortunate.
“The corpses have been deposited at the morgue of General Hospital Ota and the injured is receiving treatment in the same hospital,” he said.
Ajibade said that TRACE had to deploy a crane and a flat bed vehicle to remove the vehicles from the ditch.
He said that the evacuation of the vehicles had been completed, except for the tanker, as TRACE had to wait for NUPENG officials for transloading before total evacuation.
Ajibade advised motorists to always adhere strictly to traffic regulations and refrain from speeding to avoid loss of lives.
- Election: Close down institutions, allow students vote– Reps to FG
- ICPC re-arrests former JAMB registrar Dibu Ojerinde
- Kwara Assembly approves extension of Acting Auditor-General’s tenure
- Ex-JAMB registrar opened fictitious accounts to conceal his identity– Witness
- No attempt to create conflict between Tinubu, Buhari will succeed – APC
- Lubcon bags West Africa’s best lubricant of year
- NYSC gets 8 new directors, promotes 1,123 others
- Senate confirms ex-I-G Arase as Chairman, Police Service Commission
- Bank customers decry scarcity of new Naira notes at ATMs, POS
- Senate suspends plenary till Feb. 28