A 45 year old man has allegedly as allegedly set ablaze a house killing a five year-old girl, Nifemi, who was burnt to death, while her mother and two siblings suffered severe burns.
The Commissioner of Police in Lagos, Mr. Imohimin Edgal, confirming the incident to newsmen in Lagos, said the victims were sleeping at their Powerline Area residence in Alagbado, Lagos, when the incident happened.
Edgal, who spoke to newsmen on Wednesday when he visited the scene of the crime, said that the suspect has been arrested.
He identified the victims as Mrs. Anitan and her children, Ayo, Esther and Nifemi.
According to him, one of the children, Nifemi, aged five years, died as a result of the burns she suffered, while the woman and her two other children suffered various degrees of burns.
“They are currently receiving treatment at Gbagada General Hospital. This is the dwelling place for a woman and three of her children.
“They were sleeping and suddenly, there was fire outbreak. They sustained severe burns before they were rushed to the hospital.
“Fortunately, the Divisional Police Officer and his team that came to their rescue did a painstaking search.
“They were able to recover a phone which was traced to Shola Adewunmi, who previously had serious altercation with the woman.
“Evidence we have so far is that the man purposely set fire on the house with intent to burn both the woman and her children alive.
“He has been arrested and I have ordered that he be taken to the state CID for further investigation,” he said.
Edgal added that the suspect would be properly investigated and charged to court, assuring the public that the outcome of the investigation would be revealed.
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG