The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, NAPTIP, charged the defendant from Kubwa, Abuja with three counts bordering on incest.
The defendant pleaded not guilty.
Judge Kezziah Ogbonnaya issued the order pending when the court rules on the defendant’s bail application filed by his defense attorney, Usman Nuhu.
However, Ogbonnaya adjourned the matter until February 3 for trial.
Previously, Nuhu told the court that he filed a bail motion, dated June 2021 and filed pursuant to Section 162 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) and 36(5) of the 1999 constitution, seeking a court order admitting the defendant to bail.
The defense lawyer also told the court that the seven-year-old girl was in the defendant’s custody following an interim foster care order granted to her by an Abuja Magistrates Court in November 2020.
Prosecution attorney Rose Ibekwe told the court that the defense attorney served her with the bail application on January 25, 2022, while the case was filed in June 2021.
Ibekwe added that he filed a five-paragraph counter affidavit dated February 1 and urged the court to reject the bail request pending the defendant’s production of the key witness (the victim).
Prosecuting attorney had alleged that the defendant intentionally tongued the vagina of his 7-year-old adopted daughter, sometime in 2020.
The offence, he said, is punishable under Section 1(2), 5(1) of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act 2015.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal