The Senate Minority Leader, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe has kicked against the inclusion of the Special Assistant on Social Media to the President, Lauretta Onochie among the six nominees to be screened by the upper legislative chamber for the position of Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC commissioners.
President Muhammadu Buhari had, on October 12, 2020 nominated Onochie from Delta State, Prof. Muhammad Sani Kallah (Katsina), Prof. Kunle Cornelius Ajayi (Ekiti), Saidu Babura Ahmad (Jigawa), Prof. Sani Muhammad Adam (North Central) and Dr. Baba Bila representing North East, respectively.
The Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan had asked Abaribe to second a motion for the screening of the nominees, which the Minority Leader did reluctantly, having expressed his opposition to the resurfacing of the president’s aide.
Abaribe said he was surprised that Onochie’s name was still included among the nominees to be screened by the Senate and might be subsequently been confirmed for appointment by the upper legislative chamber.
“I am surprised that the name of Lauretta Onochie was still included on the list despite the fact that we have resolved her issue a long time ago.
”I am seconding the motion for the screening of the nominees, reluctantly and we shall meet in Philippines,” the Minority Leader said.
The Senate President, later referred the executive communication to the Committee on INEC, chaired by Senator Kabiru Gaya (APC Kano South) with a view to screening the appointees for confirmation or otherwise by the Senate.
Lawan gave the committee four weeks to conclude the screening and report back to the Senate at plenary.
It would be recalled that the minority Leader, the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, and many other groups as well as individuals, had eight months ago when the announcement was made, particularly opposed the nomination of Onochie, saying it was morally wrong for the President to nominate his aide, who is also a member of the All Progressives Congress, APC as a commissioner in the nation’s electoral umpire.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 62 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate