Connect with us

Uncategorized

Abuja natives protest alleged killings by soldiers

Published

on

Abuja natives protest alleged killings by soldiers

Natives of Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, on Tuesday barricaded gates to the National Assembly in protests against alleged killings of their youth by soldiers.

Beside the National Assembly gate, the protesters also barricaded the main entrances to the gates of Presidential Villa and Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF causing gridlock for several hours.

The protesters, under the aegis of Coalition for FCT Indigenous Groups, were armed with placards with different inscriptions like “It is seven days now that FCT native was killed”, “Nigerian Army stop killing FCT natives”, “Protect natives and properties not the opposite”, etc.

The group had embarked on renewed protest last Thursday over alleged killing and maiming of some indigenes by the military over acquisition of land. They alleged forceful takeover of lands by Nigerian Army in Giri, Kpakuru, Ido Saraki, Zuba and Tungan Maje.

Speaking with journalists, leader of the group, Mr. Dalhatu Musa said they would not give up until their demand was met.

Musa said the struggle to stop military brutality over the land started in 2016 and had continued without positive outcome. The leader of the group said as law abiding citizens, the FCT Minister was petitioned and committee set up to look into the matter.

“We were  told that the military was not allocated the land they were laying claim to, so we expected that they will revert back to status quo and stop harassing us.

Abuja natives protest alleged killings by soldiers

“Unfortunately, last week one person was killed and several others injured when the military tried to forcefully eject them from the land they were using for farming. When this matter started we petitioned the FCT minister and we were told they were not allocated the land.

“The ministry reported he matter to the presidency and a Presidential committee was set up headed by Aba Kyari to llok into the matter and they asked the army to  stop whatever they were doing there.

“Still they went there with their bulldozer to dig a trenches to stop the indigenes from accessing their villages,” he said.

He said they were not going to be carried away by promises that the national assembly was attending  to the matter.

According to him, the senate last week committed the matter to the Committee on Defence, adding that they had always used that as an excuse not to do anything on the matter. Musa insisted that they would not bulge until the President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki or Speaker of the House of Representatives addressed them.

Meanwhile, the Chairman Senate Committee on FCT, Senator Dino Melaye who was directed to speak to the protesters urged them to remain calm.

He said the senate had mandated the committee on Defence to take look into the matter with a view to finding a lasting solution.

Facebook Comments Box

DOWNLOAD ROYAL NEWS eCOPY March 28, 2022


Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.

Contact: info@royalnews.com.ng

Download ROYAL NEWS app

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.