The Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has secured the conviction of one Olukayode Emmanuel Olamilekan from Akure, the Ondo State Capital over offences bordering on cybercrime.
Olukayode, 26, was convicted and sentenced to two years imprisonment by Justice Muhammed Sani of the Federal High Court in Ilorin after he was found guilty of the two-count charge levelled against him by the EFCC.
The convict was among the thirty suspected internet fraudsters arrested in Ado-Ekiti on April 26, 2022 during a sting operation at the State Capital following intelligence reports on the activities of fraudsters in the area.
Investigation into the matter revealed that Olukayode, who currently have no defined job is specialized in internet fraud and had benefited several millions of naira from his fraudulent activities, part of which he used to purchase a Mercedes Benz ML 350 in the sum of N13million.
The defendant pleaded guilty to the charge.
Following his guilty plea, counsel to the EFCC, Sesan Ola, reviewed the facts of the case. He tendered the extra-judicial statements of the defendant, phones, hp laptop and the car recovered from him at the point of arrest as well as fraudulent messages printed from his devices, which were admitted in evidence.
Ola urged the court to convict the defendant in line with his guilty plea and the exhibits tendered before it.
Justice Sani in his judgement said that he found merit in the case of the prosecution and consequently convicted the defendant.
The judge sentenced Olukayode to one-year imprisonment each on count one and two with option of N300,000 (Three Hundred Thousand Naira Only) on each count. The court also ordered the forfeiture of one iphone 12, infinix x 65, hp laptop and Mercedes Benz ml 350 recovered from the convict at the point of arrest to the Federal Government.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir Sulu-Gambari prays for Doyen of Geology, Prof. Oyawoye at 95
- Again, Buhari urges ASUU to call off strike
- Kwara Govt secondary school without classrooms
- NBA lauds Bala Mohammed for signing judiciary autonomy bill into law
- APC Chieftain lauds Faleke’s appointment as Secretary of APC Presidential Campaign
- Transform Raw Materials To Finished and Revenue Generating Product – FG
- Afritel trains journalists on good governance, accountability reporting
- Soludo suspends LG chairman over wife’s death
- Two more internet fraudsters jailed in Kwara + 2 Photos
- MAN unveils secretariat in Kwara, lauds Gov. AbdulRazaq