She was arraigned by the Maiduguri zonal command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) alongside Tahiru Daura and Prince Lawal Shoyede, on a three-count charge of conspiracy and stealing in 2019.
The defendants, as promoters and managers of a non-governmental organisation — Complete Care and Aids Foundation — were alleged to have, on September 7, 2018, induced one Ali Tijjani and his company, AMTMAT Global Ventures, to supply N51 million worth of processed maize grain, also known as ‘biski’, for which they refused to pay.
According to the EFCC, AMTMAT Global Ventures processed and funded the trip of the trio to Morocco to the tune of N15 million, “a cost they refused to defray”.
The defendants had pleaded not guilty to all the charges upon arraignment.
The EFCC had, through its counsel, Mukhtar Ahmed, presented five witnesses and tendered several exhibits before closing its case on September 1, 2020.
Delivering judgment on Friday, Aisha Kumaliya, the presiding judge, said the prosecution proved its case against the defendants beyond reasonable doubt.
According to a statement by Wilson Uwujaren, EFCC spokesman, the judge pronounced all the defendants guilty as charged.
“The judge sentenced Wakil, Daura and Shoyede to seven years imprisonment for the offence of conspiracy without option of fine, and seven years on the count of cheating also without option of fine,” the statement reads.
“On the second count of cheating, the court sentenced the convicts to seven years imprisonment each without an option of fine.
“In addition, the court ordered the defendants to pay the sum of N51m to Ali Tijjani or in default, serve fifteen years imprisonment.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)