Amaechi to Igbo: Emulate Jaja of Opobo, Azikiwe for better recognition
By Aminat Isah
The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has advised Igbo to leverage on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) to provide themselves with the required network for national recognitions.
Amaechi stressed that King Jaja of Opobo and Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe are key figures to be emulated in order to achieve better deals in politics.
He noted that the tribe should elevate its activities from regionally based to nationwide standard for better results, growth and development it’s people.
Amaechi who spoke on Friday at the 2018 Convocation Lecture of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University in Awka, Anambra State, traced the Igbos regional patriotism to the issue of Igbo identity and Igbo emotionalism
In his lecture titled: “The Igbos In The Politics of Nigeria”, the Minister disclosed that, “What is true of the Igbo in the past may not be true today.
“How people respond to issues today maybe different from how they responded in the past. But the one that has remained true is the issue of Igbo emotionalism. The Igbo historical past is very important and at certain times it has been quite tragic.”
He however emphasised that, “We cannot remain trapped in our past and as someone once said, we cannot wish away the war that took place but we cannot continue to move forward with our heads slightly inclined backwards.
“You will either trip or not move fast enough. Don’t forget that you are in a race with other groups. Nigeria of the sixties is clearly different from Nigeria of today and the Igbo nation would have to adjust to that reality and strategize accordingly.”
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Davido announces album release, returns to social media
- President Buhari commissions new office of National Security Adviser (Photos)
- Protesters call for Interim Govt, INEC chairman arrest
- I will never be a member of APC– Fayose
- PHOTO NEWS : Gov. AbdulRazaq visits Iyiola Akogun
- Saudi Arabia releases date on when Ramadan fasting will start
- Gov. AbdulRazaq’s re-election victory is deserving—Nupehood boss
- Peter Obi rigged 2023 election, not Tinubu – Asari Dokubo
- Time for politicking is over — Tinubu
- Breaking….CBN Gov., Godwin Emefiele Raises Interest Rate To 18%