The All Progressives Congress (APC) has won all the 27 chairmanship seats in the just concluded local government elections in Imo State.
Chairman of the State Independent Electoral Commission (ISIEC), Mr. Ethelbert Ebebuchi, revealed this on Sunday in Owerri.
Mr Ebebuchi made the disclosure while announcing the results of the elections at the ISIEC Headquarters along Orlu Road in the state capital.
He announced that the ruling party also won 636 councillorship seats out of the 645 wards in the state.
According to the SIEC chairman, Accord Party, KOWA, and the Young Progressive Party (YPP) won some of the remaining councillorship positions.
He commended the state government, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), security agencies, as well as local and international observers for their efforts towards ensuring the success of the exercise.
Reacting to the outcomes of the elections in a statement shortly after the results were announced, the state governor, Mr Rochas Okorocha, commended ISIEC for the successful conduct of the polls.
He said the electoral body showed that it has the capacity to conduct a free and fair election “without eyebrows being raised”.
Okorocha, who is the APC Governors’ Forum Chairman, congratulated his party and the candidates who participated in the elections on the feat recorded.
He also thanked the people of Imo for coming out to exercise their franchise and conducting themselves peacefully at the polls.
The elections conducted by the electoral body on Saturday were the first in the state in the last seven years.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign