The Court of Appeal sitting in Owerri on Wednesday upheld the processes that led to the victory of Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri.
The court also dismissed Ndutimi Alaibe’s claim that the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) adopted a “flawed process” during the primary that led to the emergence of Diri as the standard-bearer of the party in the 2019 governorship election in the state, declaring the suit for lack of merit.
Alaibe, who had aspired alongside with the governor, was dissatisfied, and challenged the matter at the Federal High Court sitting in Owerri, Imo State capital, presided over by Justice Tijjani Ringim. The court dismissed it on March 10, 2020.
Also not satisfied, Alaibe proceeded to the Court of Appeal to challenge it, but upholding the lower court’s ruling, the Court of Appeal ruled that Diri’s victory process was legitimate.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, David Lyon, who had been declared winner by the INEC, but following the Supreme Court’s ruling that Lyon’s deputy, Biobarakuma Degi Eremienyo, forged his credentials with multiple names to the INEC; his victory was voided because it was a joint ticket.
The development took place less than 24 hours to Lyon’s hitherto billed inauguration.
He was also openly rehearsing on that eve before the news was broken to him.Subsequently, Diri was declared winner and sworn in same day with his deputy.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment