The Court of Appeal sitting in Owerri on Wednesday upheld the processes that led to the victory of Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri.
The court also dismissed Ndutimi Alaibe’s claim that the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) adopted a “flawed process” during the primary that led to the emergence of Diri as the standard-bearer of the party in the 2019 governorship election in the state, declaring the suit for lack of merit.
Alaibe, who had aspired alongside with the governor, was dissatisfied, and challenged the matter at the Federal High Court sitting in Owerri, Imo State capital, presided over by Justice Tijjani Ringim. The court dismissed it on March 10, 2020.
Also not satisfied, Alaibe proceeded to the Court of Appeal to challenge it, but upholding the lower court’s ruling, the Court of Appeal ruled that Diri’s victory process was legitimate.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, David Lyon, who had been declared winner by the INEC, but following the Supreme Court’s ruling that Lyon’s deputy, Biobarakuma Degi Eremienyo, forged his credentials with multiple names to the INEC; his victory was voided because it was a joint ticket.
The development took place less than 24 hours to Lyon’s hitherto billed inauguration.
He was also openly rehearsing on that eve before the news was broken to him.Subsequently, Diri was declared winner and sworn in same day with his deputy.
- Respect culture of your host communities– Traditional ruler to corps members
- Court orders INEC to accept Labour Party’s candidates in 24 states
- Kwara Govt engages additional 200 sweepers to improve public hygiene
- El-Rufai insists Aso Rock cabal working against Tinubu, vows to unmask them
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants