A middle aged Armed robber, Raji Babatunde, has been sentenced to death by hanging by an Ado Ekiti High Court, in Ekiti State, ROYAL NEWS reports.
The judge, Cornelius Akintayo, in his judgment held that the prosecution had proved the case against Babatunde beyond reasonable doubt.
But he discharged and acquitted the second accused person, Adegboye Sunday, due to lack of sufficient evidence.
None of the witnesses called to give evidence in the case linked the second accused person to the crime, leaving the court with no option but to set him free.
The charge sheet said Babatunde was a member of a four-man robbery gang that terrorised a house at 15, Odundun Street, Okesa and 5C, Dallimore Street both in Ado-Ekiti on June 30, 2014, an offense which contravenes Section 1(2)(a)of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act Cap R11 Vol 14 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.
The accused were said to have robbed one Alhaji Mudsahiru Bello of two Nokia phones, one Tecno phone while armed with offensive weapons such as axe and cutlass.
The accused persons also allegedly robbed one Oladele Femi of one bottle of Star lager beer, six bottles of trophy lager beer and one packet of Rothmans cigarette, while armed with axe and cutlass.
During their first appearance before the High Court on February 1, 2016 they pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them.
In the course of the robbery, some policemen on patrol arrived at the scene and in the process, three members of the gang escaped while Babatunde was arrested while attempting to escape with the proceeds of the crime.
Babatunde, in a statement to the police mentioned the name of the second accused person, Sunday, which led to his arrest but he was saved by the testimony of the witnesses which did not link him with the crime.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency