A parallel body called Congress of University Academics (CONUA), has emerged from the Academic Staff Union of University, (ASUU) with the sole aim of effecting some changes in the system.
The union, which started at OAU, has as its members at Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma, Federal University Oye Ekiti, Federal University Lokoja, Kwara State University Malete and University Ilorin.
ROYAL NEWS gathered that members of the new union noted that they left the ASSU in order to redefine unionism and restore peace and stability in the universities in Nigeria.
The national coordinator of the new union, Niyi Ismaheel, disclosed this during their first national stakeholders meeting held at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, recently.
Addressing journalists, he said the union was formed in order to formulate a new approach of engagement in addressing the welfare of its members and put to an end to the unnecessary wasting of student’s academic time as a result of frequent strike action.
In his reaction, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said that the union had not been registered. He said: “We have not registered them yet, their application is in the ministry, it has not been treated. We will look at their application, I’ve asked a committee to look at it.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment