ASUU: OAU, UNILORIN, KWASU, others form parallel union
A parallel body called Congress of University Academics (CONUA), has emerged from the Academic Staff Union of University, (ASUU) with the sole aim of effecting some changes in the system.
The union, which started at OAU, has as its members at Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma, Federal University Oye Ekiti, Federal University Lokoja, Kwara State University Malete and University Ilorin.
ROYAL NEWS gathered that members of the new union noted that they left the ASSU in order to redefine unionism and restore peace and stability in the universities in Nigeria.
The national coordinator of the new union, Niyi Ismaheel, disclosed this during their first national stakeholders meeting held at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, recently.
Addressing journalists, he said the union was formed in order to formulate a new approach of engagement in addressing the welfare of its members and put to an end to the unnecessary wasting of student’s academic time as a result of frequent strike action.
In his reaction, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said that the union had not been registered. He said: “We have not registered them yet, their application is in the ministry, it has not been treated. We will look at their application, I’ve asked a committee to look at it.”
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Nigeria to launch two more satellites into space soon – Defence Agency
- NSCDC arrests 9 over alleged meter bypass in Osun
- INEC issues Certificate of Return to Zamfara gov-elect, deputy
- Osun Govt explains delay of civil servants’ March salaries
- Singer “Portable” cooling feet in police custody
- Interim Govt: DSS raising fake alarm, ploy to arrest opposition– Atiku
- Yul Edochie reports son’s death to Police for investigation
- Election: Nigerians in USA get permission to hold protest opposite White House
- Github fires its entire India engineering team, over 140 employees
- Ex-Nigerian Minister, Kola Jamodu installed as Asiwaju of Ere Kingdom (PHOTOS)