AUTHORITY of the better by far University, the University of Ilorin has finally joined the usual practice of strike action by higher institutions in the nation under the coordination of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, (ASUU).
In the last 19 years, UNILORIN has always run an interrupted academic calendar which made the institution become the toast of all applicants who are willing to write UTME.
ROYAL NEWS reports that against the backdrop of the warning strike proposed by ASUU, UNILORIN has accepted to comply with the directive of the body that all member institutions should proceed on a two-week strike.
On Monday, the national president of ASUU, Biodun Ogunyemi, declared the warning strike during an executive meeting of the association in Enugu.
Mr Ogunyemi said the strike was to protest the failure of the federal government to implement the 2009 ASUU-FGN agreement, the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding and the 2017 Memorandum of Action.
The University of Ilorin joined the strike on Tuesday, the first time teachers in the university will embark on strike in about two decades.
The school had rejected previous industrial actions called by ASUU as a result of a split in the association in the institution. This resulted in the university becoming famous for a stable academic calendar.
The feud in the local ASUU chapter was eventually resolved July last year through the effort of the vice-chancellor, Abdulkareem Age.
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt
- Gov Ademola frowns at delay in Nov salary, issues ultimatum