The All Progressive Congress (APC) in Kwara state on Saturday returned 36 members of its state executive committee unopposed.
The exercise which was supervised by the APC state congress committee led by its Chairman, Senator Salisu Hussain, took place at the Banquet Hall, opposite Government House and witnessed by Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, Gov. Abdulfatah Ahmed and all members of the National Assembly from the state, as well as Deputy Governor, Elder Peter Kisra and Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Dr Ali Ahmad.
Also in attendance were National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, Alhaji Kawu Baraje and representatives of INEC from Abuja and Kwara.
The new executive committee members were picked through a consensus arrangement from ward to state congresses.
Chairman, congress committee of the party, Senator Saliu Hussein, expressed delight over the arrangement, saying the process satisfied party’s rule and constitution.
“We received return forms from 36 candidates with no opposition but we will still go ahead with voting for affirmation”, he said.
Speaking at the event, the Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki, commended party members for the conduct of the exercise, saying Nigerian politicians have a lot to learn from the Kwara model of politicking.
According to Saraki, “this is the third stage of the journey that started with ward congresses which were adjudged as the best in Nigeria. In Kwara, we don’t have problems of people fighting themselves. That is while you can see two former governors sitting together to participate in an electoral process with the incumbent.”
He challenged youths who have been elected into executive offices at the ward levels to prove their mettle in the coming general elections.
Speaking after the election, Kwara State Governor, Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed who congratulated the newly elected officials charged them to immediately prepare for the next general election.
He promised to consolidate on the achievements of the party in leading the state to an enviable heights and guarantee electoral victory for the party in 2019
In a vote of thanks, National Publicity Secretary, APC, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, insisted that the party would only recognise congresses conducted by Congress Committees put in place by the national body.
The elected officers include Alhaji Ishola Balogun Fulani, State Chairman, Hon. Christopher Tunji Ayeni, Secretary; Alhaji Buhari Sulaiman, Publicity Secretary and Hajiya Rahmat Oganija, Women Leader.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note