A barman identified as Ernest has been apprehended by the police for masterminding the foiled bank robbery attack in Mpape on Saturday.
The Federal Capital Territory Police Command arrested him from his hideout by police detectives and he is presently being held at the command headquarters by old CBN building, Garki, Abuja.
The police had earlier arrested four suspects and gunned down the fourth member of the robbery gang identified as Patrick during the operation.
The FCT Commissioner of Police, Bala Ciroma, had on Tuesday paraded the gang members including a bank employee, Larry Ehizo, 30, Timothy Joe, 21, Princewill Obinna, 24 and Elijah David, 19.
Ehizo who allegedly drove the gang members to the bank claimed he was blackmailed by Ernest to carry out the heist.
Narrating how the failed heist was executed, David said Ehizo informed the gang members that the robbery would rake in N7 million, noting that he assured them that only a few staff members would be at work on the day of the incident.
David further explained that the banker administered an oat of secrecy on him before they went for the robbery operation.
On entering the bank premises, the 19-year-old explained that they saw the policeman on duty sleeping, adding that they tied him with an old sponge and proceeded to the banking hall where they also tied other workers on duty.
He said, “Mr Larry told us that the job could fetch about N7m. After we entered the bank, we saw the MOPOL (riot policeman) on duty sleeping, so Obinna pointed a pistol at him and we tied him with an old sponge. Mr Larry told us that he would keep the other door open for us.
- Solanke-Koya urges Aviation Minister to reject payment of airfare in foreign currency
- Gusau expresses interest to run for Certified Athletic Administrator Presidency
- Lassa fever death rate raises to 13 in Edo
- APC reveals what will happen as Osinbajo absent at Tinubu’s campaign in Lagos
- Peter Obi takes campaign to Borno, promises to end insecurity
- Distribution of 2.83m mosquito nets begin in Ebonyi
- 2023: Groups target 1million votes for Tinubu in Osun
- Gov. Sanwo-Olu purchases 100 cars for Lagos civil servants
- Ilorin experiences first rainfall in 2023
- Leeds records 3-1 victory against Accrington Stanley firstly in 7yrs