Dr Inodu Akpoku, the Chairman, Bayelsa COVID-19 Task Force implementation Committee, says the state has confirmed the first case of COVID-19.
Akpoku who confirmed the development in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday said that there was no cause for worry.
He said that the state had prepared well to handle the situation.
He said that that the affected woman had been quarantined at one of the isolation centres in Bayelsa.
The chairman said that the government was preparing a detailed statement on the case which would be made public.
“We have recorded one case and she is a woman and she has been moved to the isolation centre at the Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital (NDUTH) at Okolobiri in Yenagoa Local Government Area.
“There is absolutely no need for panic because the Bayelsa government is adequately prepared for this.
“We have at no fewer than three isolation centres and well trained medical professionals to tackle the pandemic.
“We appeal to the people to take their personal hygiene more seriously and we have emphasised the use of face masks by residents in addition to other protocols put in place by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
“In addition, people should ensure they take more of fruits and vegetables in their diet as it boosts the immune system.
“In addition to complying with the hygiene protocols, good nutruition is also recommended,” he said.
NAN reports that the NCDC has listed the case in Bayelsa as one of the 91 new cases of the COVID-19 .
Gov. Douye Diri is expected to address the residents in the state soon on the development, according to a source.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal