A non-governmental organization, the Muslim Media Watch Group of Nigeria, MMWG, has taken a critical look at street begging by young boys in the country, especially in the North where such practice has been turned to a culture and declared that it is un-Islamic.
President Muhamnadu Buhari had last week announced the intention of the federal government to outlaw street begging, popularly called Al-Majiri system with a view to promoting the value of education in the country.
MMWG, in a statement issued on Monday by its National Coordinator, Alhaji Ibrahim Abdullahi, agreed with President Buhari that the children roaming the streets lack proper upbringing for them to know the value of education.
The group said it “sees begging, especially by boys in the North as un-Islamic as no portion of the Holy Qur’an or the Hadith supports it”.
It therefore declared its support for President Buhari on the eradication of the menace and charged every parent and guardian to always take good care of their children and wards.
“Parents and guardians are mandated by Almighty Allah to cater for feeding, clothing, accommodation and educational development of their children. The bad culture is being condoned because of the unconcerned attitudes of Northern communities, religious, traditional and political leaders.
“We therefore commend the President for coming out openly to condemn it. This is a battle MMWG has been fighting. We watched on TV when the National Security Adviser, NSA, Rtd Major-General Babagana Mungono was exposing the danger posed to the society at large if the trend is not arrested.
“In fact, the insecurity facing the nation presently cannot be separated from the long-term neglect of these vulnerable children who could be bought-over for any nefarious activity, it stressed.
The group also called on Northern governors who have critical roles to play on the matter to “immediately collaborate with the federal government to find a lasting solution to this embarrassing situation of begging which is abhorred in Islam”.
On the reduction in Hajj fares by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON, following the downward review of the portal and land transportation routes by the Saudi Arabian authorities, it commended the commission for its “transparency and accountability in running Hajj affairs” in the country.
MMWG noted that “with this reduction, those who had earlier paid for this year’s Hajj will be refunded with the sum of N51, 174. 45, while those that are yet to pay would have same amount removed from their fares for them to pay the reduced rates”.
Also, it lauded the commission for extending the closing date for Hajj payment by three weeks to enable intending pilgrims complete their payments up to July 15.
The group also commended the NAHCON chairman, Barrister Abdullahi Mukhtar Muhammad for using his initiatives to secure new corporate headquarters for the commission in Abuja from its internally generated revenue, IGR, pointing out that “this has depicted a very serious commitment to the service of the pilgrims and the nation.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign