By Aboje Anefu, Makurdi
BENUE State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, Executive Secretary, Dr. Emmanuel Shior, has decried the increasing number of displaced persons in the state owing to the constant attack on communities by armed Fulani herdsmen.
Dr. Shior made the lamentation in Makurdi on Thursday while distributing relief materials to internally displaced persons, IDPs, stressing that the number of IDPs has raisen close to two million.
He expressed worry over the humanitarian crisis caused by the frequent attack and displacement, particularly in Kwande Local Government Area where he said 8 communities are presently under siege.
Shior said so far the state has 7 official camps and 20 unofficial camps housing the displaced persons, a development he stressed has overstretched government in term of logistics in catering for the refugees.
The SEMA boss dismissed insinuations made in certain quarters claiming that the relief materials do not get to the IDPs.
“Some think that when we load relief materials, we do not take them to the camps; that it is a sham. But I believe that the media cannot be part of any sham and that is why I always carry the media along during our distribution process,” Shior said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Buhari’s Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen, withdraws from Senatorial race
- Stirke: UNILORIN VC sends strong message to FG, ASUU
- Ekiti guber race: I’m committed to APC’s victory at poll—Bamidele
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES