By Aboje Anefu, Makurdi
BENUE State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, Executive Secretary, Dr. Emmanuel Shior, has decried the increasing number of displaced persons in the state owing to the constant attack on communities by armed Fulani herdsmen.
Dr. Shior made the lamentation in Makurdi on Thursday while distributing relief materials to internally displaced persons, IDPs, stressing that the number of IDPs has raisen close to two million.
He expressed worry over the humanitarian crisis caused by the frequent attack and displacement, particularly in Kwande Local Government Area where he said 8 communities are presently under siege.
Shior said so far the state has 7 official camps and 20 unofficial camps housing the displaced persons, a development he stressed has overstretched government in term of logistics in catering for the refugees.
The SEMA boss dismissed insinuations made in certain quarters claiming that the relief materials do not get to the IDPs.
“Some think that when we load relief materials, we do not take them to the camps; that it is a sham. But I believe that the media cannot be part of any sham and that is why I always carry the media along during our distribution process,” Shior said.
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated
- How pastors treWe both wept when Sammie Okposo told me how pastors treated him – Apostle Suleman
- My presidential ambition is for Nigeria’s future– Peter Obi
- PDP reschedules campaign flag off in Nasarawa over police permit
- UniAbuja ASUU protest unpaid salaries
- Unilorin V-C extols Prof. Gambari’s virtues @ 78