BEWARE…Why you should avoid patronizing Hausa tea vendors, Maishayi
Facts have emerged on the need to be cautious of where to buy tea just as the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has warned Nigerians to be careful when taking cup of tea popularly known as `Maishayi’ from vendors.
NAFDAC Director-General Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Abuja.
Adeyeye said that the warning became necessary following information the agency received that Maishayi now mixes intoxicating drugs in the tea prepared for customers.
She mentioned intoxicating drugs such as tramadol, Vieteling, Marijuana and others, adding that people could lose their lives after taking tea mixed with such drugs.
“In the US, lots of people are dying because of these medicines. How can such medicines mix with palm wine in the name of getting high in Nigeria?
“There are some medicines you cannot take if you have a cardiovascular problem,’’ she said.
The director-general said that the agency was working toward collaborating with the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) to check for quality medicine in orthodox and herbal.
According to her, the idea is necessary since NIPRD specialises on research, and the purpose is to safeguard the health of the nation.
She however, called on the people to desist from harmful medicine in the name of power enhancement in whatever area they think of.
Read Also: Kano Confiscates N150m Illicit, Expired Drugs(Opens in a new browser tab)
Adeyeye added that the agency’s five laboratories had been accredited many times and has quality with high standard.
“We are going further, we want a central drug lab to be World Health Organisation (WHO) pre-qualify; we are raising our bar higher,’’ she said.
Adeyeye said that it would continue to sensitise people against the drugs and believe that within the year, the agency would get the WHO pre-qualified central drug lab. (NAN)
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Davido announces album release, returns to social media
- President Buhari commissions new office of National Security Adviser (Photos)
- Protesters call for Interim Govt, INEC chairman arrest
- I will never be a member of APC– Fayose
- PHOTO NEWS : Gov. AbdulRazaq visits Iyiola Akogun
- Saudi Arabia releases date on when Ramadan fasting will start
- Gov. AbdulRazaq’s re-election victory is deserving—Nupehood boss
- Peter Obi rigged 2023 election, not Tinubu – Asari Dokubo
- Time for politicking is over — Tinubu
- Breaking….CBN Gov., Godwin Emefiele Raises Interest Rate To 18%