Facts have emerged on the need to be cautious of where to buy tea just as the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has warned Nigerians to be careful when taking cup of tea popularly known as `Maishayi’ from vendors.
NAFDAC Director-General Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Abuja.
Adeyeye said that the warning became necessary following information the agency received that Maishayi now mixes intoxicating drugs in the tea prepared for customers.
She mentioned intoxicating drugs such as tramadol, Vieteling, Marijuana and others, adding that people could lose their lives after taking tea mixed with such drugs.
“In the US, lots of people are dying because of these medicines. How can such medicines mix with palm wine in the name of getting high in Nigeria?
“There are some medicines you cannot take if you have a cardiovascular problem,’’ she said.
The director-general said that the agency was working toward collaborating with the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) to check for quality medicine in orthodox and herbal.
According to her, the idea is necessary since NIPRD specialises on research, and the purpose is to safeguard the health of the nation.
She however, called on the people to desist from harmful medicine in the name of power enhancement in whatever area they think of.
Adeyeye added that the agency’s five laboratories had been accredited many times and has quality with high standard.
“We are going further, we want a central drug lab to be World Health Organisation (WHO) pre-qualify; we are raising our bar higher,’’ she said.
Adeyeye said that it would continue to sensitise people against the drugs and believe that within the year, the agency would get the WHO pre-qualified central drug lab. (NAN)
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)