The Nigerian Police said it has increased the numerical strength of their personnel in the South-East and South-South zones of the country.
According to the police, this was in a bid to prevent a breach of the peace, which may result from the activities of Biafran agitators ahead of the upcoming Anambra State governorship election.
The police also said it was waiting for court pronouncement for the arrest of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu.
Nigerian Government had last week demanded that the Federal High Court in Abuja revoke the bail granted to Kanu.
Speaking to Punch, the Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, said “We have made additional deployments, particularly in Anambra State, because of the upcoming governorship election and also to other South-East and South- South states to ensure that IPOB did not actualise its threat of stopping the election.
“So also, any pronouncement from the court would be strictly enforced, irrespective of the persons involved.
“Nobody is above the law, so any court pronouncement would be enforced by the police.
“We are strictly monitoring the situation for any eventuality from the court, since there is an ongoing judicial process.
“We are not leaving anything to chance; we are to ensure there is law and order and any pronouncement from the court would be strictly enforced.
“We are watching the situation closely. We have made enough deployments and we are going to act appropriately.
“We have yet to deploy helicopters because the situation is not ripe for it.”
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative
- NLC suspends nationwide protest