A bill for a law to establish office for Disability Affairs and to provide protection against discrimination of disabled persons on Tuesday passed second reading at Kwara assembly.
The motion for the second reading of the bill was moved by the prime mover, Aishat (APC, llorin East constituency.
Leading a debate on the bill the sponsor, said the bill seeks to provide an office for people with disability to partake in decision-making and protect them from harmful practices in the society.
She noted that there is the need for the provision of basic amenities for the people with disability for them to have sense of belonging in the society
The Law maker implored her colleagues in the House to give the bill an accelerated passage because of its importance.
Also Abdulrafiu Abdulrahman (APC, llorin North constituency) in his submission stated that the bill is a straight forward one and called for proper care for the people with disability in the society.
The Leader of the House, Hassan Oyeleke said as a matter of compulsion, all the facilities enjoined by the able body should be extended to the people with disability too.
Oyeleke who described the bill as meritorious, said it is long overdue for passage considering the number of the disabled people in the society.
After extensive debate on the bill, the Speaker, Dr Ali Ahmad directed the clerk of the house, Alhaji Mohammed Katsina to read the bill for the second time.
The House refered the bill to a joint house committees on Social Development,Youth, Sports and Information and Ethics, Privileges and Judiciary for further legislative action
The speaker directed the committees to report back its findings to the house in two weeks time.
Also during Tuesday plenary, the house called for immediate suspension of the ongoing buildings of shops/ offices at Sheik Abdulkadir college fence in Ilorin the state capital.
The resolution was passed after the adoption of a matter of public importance over the raised by a Member representing Ilorin Central Segilola Abdulkadir .
She said the school which houses over fifteen schools cannot be subjected to distraction which will be coming from shops and offices around them.
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo