Malam Barkindo Saidu, the Executive Secretary, Borno Agency for the Control of HIV/AIDS (BOSACA), has disclosed that 512 new cases of HIV infections have been recorded in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camps in the state.
The Executive Secretary made this known on Sunday in Maiduguri while briefing newsmen.
Saidu said that the cases were recorded after voluntary screening in some IDPs’ camps in the state, adding that two out of the 512 persons were children.
“We are currently conducting voluntary screening on HIV/AIDS in IDPs’ camps across the state to determine the status of the people, especially those rescued from the Boko Haram terrorists.
“As at last week, we have recorded 512 positive cases, among which two are children,” Saidu said.
He said that the state had witnessed rising cases of the disease due largely to the Boko Haram terrorism.
“Currently, 2.4 per cent of the population of the state are living with HIVand AIDS, which translates to 108,000 persons, going by the record of the National Population Commission.
“But only a tiny portion of these people can access treatment because most anti retroviral centres have closed,” Saidu said.
He explained that only 32 out of the 90 anti retroviral centres were still operational in the state.
“Before the Boko Haram terrorism, we had 90 treatment centres across the state, but only 32 are still functional today.
“The rest have been closed down due to the Boko Haram terrorism,” Saidu said.
He therefore called on the Federal Government and donor agencies to intervene in the HIV and AIDS control in the state.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign