BREAKING: 14 people burn to death
At least 14 people, including four children, were burnt to death when a passenger van caught fire after colliding with a truck in Pakistan on Tuesday, the Police said.
Another five people were severely injured in the accident that took place near the capital, Islamabad, said Mahmud Ali Khokhar, spokesperson for the highway police.
He confirmed that four children were among the dead and all the bodies were charred beyond recognition.
An investigation is ongoing to determine the cause of the accident.
Khokhar said it appeared that the van driver fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into the truck.
Bad roads, poorly maintained vehicles and a substandard safety regime cause numerous accidents in Pakistan every year, leading to more than 5,000 deaths, according to government statistics.
In June, a fuel tanker overturned in eastern Pakistan and then burst into flames when locals gathered to collect oil, killing about 200 people.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Ex-Nigerian Minister, Kola Jamodu installed as Asiwaju of Ere Kingdom (PHOTOS)
- IEYDA applauds Police, Army, others over peaceful conduct of polls
- How FG punished me for going to court over naira policy – Gov Matawalle
- Nigeria’s total public debt stock hits N46.25trn in Q4 2022 – NBS
- Asari Dokubo leads solidarity walk for President-Elect Tinubu in Rivers State
- MC Oluomo bans illegal Agbero taxes in part of Lagos
- Justice AbdulMuttalib Ambali’s demise, great loss to humanity Emir Sulu-Gambari
- TRIBUTE TO LATE HON. JUSTICE MUTALLIB AHMAD AMBALI OFR
- UNILORIN don, Prof. Aishatu Gobir gets new appointment, group reacts
- Ikpeazu sacks all Special Advisers, Aides