Three suicide bombers suspected to be Boko Haram members have attempted to hit the Federal High Court in Jidari Polo area of Maiduguri, the Borno state capital on November 18, Friday.
Police operatives on the scene of the attack on November 18, Friday.
According to Sahara Reporters, the bombers could not do much harm as Nigerian police contingent stationed in a Catholic church nearby killed the attackers made up of a male and two females before they could impose damage to anybody.
The sources noted that one of the bombers, a female took off her suicide vest and ran towards the security operatives with her hands raised and was caught alive.
The attacker then set off her bomb which killed her male partner. Police officers in the state told journalists that only the suicide bombers died in the attack.
The female bomber on the team who surrendered has been arrested and taken into custody by the Nigerian army.
Damian Chukwu, the commissioner of police, has confirmed to newsmen in Maiduguri that six people have been declared dead following the incident.
He said: “Side from the explosion near a mobile Police location in Jiddari, we had two other suicide bombings along Maiduguri-Gamboru road.
“In the first case, a suspected male suicide bomber detonated his explosives after he was stopped at the entrance of the Muna Garage, killing himself instantly,” Chukwu said.
He said that another suspected male suicide bomber detonated his explosives on the same road a few meters away, killing himself and two local vigilantes called Civilian JTF.
“In all, we recorded six deaths, comprising four suspected bombers and two vigilantes.
“This is the sixth or seventh suspected suicide attack in the last couple of days. The Police and other security agents are working hard to stop the ugly trend.”
Before the Nigerian troops recapture Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state was epicentre of the Boko Haram insurgency, Boko Haram has frequently used female and child suicide bombers to mount their attacks, particularly in the past year, as a Nigerian and regional military crackdown has stripped the group of the territory it once held.
- COAS commissions projects at NAIC Hdqtrs (PHOTOS)
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative