Senate has approved the establishment of the Federal University of Transportation, Daura, hometown of President Muhammadu Buhari in Katsina State
The passage of the bill followed the consideration of a report by the Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFund on a bill seeking the establishment of the university.
Presenting the report, chairman of the committee, Senator Ahmad Babba Kaita (APC Katsina North), said the establishment of the university would allow Nigerians access to modern knowledge, emerging techniques and skills in the transport industry.
According to him, the institution would provide required knowledge to prospective students to enhance Nigeria’s transportation sector and make them drivers of the industry.
Senator Babba Kaita explained that the development of the transport sector by knowledge transfer and capacity building would in turn generate employment opportunities for Nigerians.
“The envisaged University of Transportation has immense benefits, especially in closing the huge gap in knowledge about transportation business and enhancing technical skills while ensuring technology transfer from the most developed nations such as China, USA, South Korea, etc to benefit the Nigerian transportation industry,” he stressed.
He added that the University of Transportation Daura, which is expected to provide the manpower needs of the Nigerian transport systems and the Nigerian Railway, would be the first in the West African sub-region with the potentials of wooing Africans and foreign investors to invest and acquire advanced knowledge in research and exploration of scientific innovation in the transport sector.
The bill was passed by the chamber after its clause-by-clause consideration by the Committee of the Whole.
- PHOTO NEWS: Reception in honour A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN in Abuja
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto
- PVCs, ballot boxes, destroyed after an attack on Ebonyi INEC office
- Gov. Adeleke appoints Chief of Staff, SSG, CPS