The Minister of Defence Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has appointed the former military administrator of Kwara State, Major Gen., Alwali Jauji Kazir (rtd) as the chairman of a 24-man Committee to implement the recommendations of the Reform Committee for the Ministry of Defence and the Nigeria’s Armed Forces.
The committee which was given a 7 – point terms of reference, according to the Minister, will enable Nigerians have more positive impacts of a rejuvenated and repositioned new Defence Sector in order to make his ministry discharge its constitutional mandates.
During the inauguration of the committee on Tuesday, the minister diclosed that the committee is to examine the recommendations of the Reform Committee’s report and classify them into immediate, Short, medium and long term as appropriate.
“The onus is on the Implimentation and Advisory Committee to Institute necessary mechanisms to facilitate the implementation of the recommendations that are within the approval threshold of the Minister of Defence.
“It’s terms of reference also include Monitoring progress in the implimentation of recommendations by the Ministry of Defence, Defence Headquarters and Services’ Headquarters, develop strategies to tackle any envisaged bottlenecks as well as perform such other functions as may be assigned”, Magashi added.
Earlier, the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Defence, Musa Istifanus, challenged members of the Committee to see their assignment as a duty call to render selfless service to the nation.
Istifanus said the membership of the Committee are carefully selected based on their pedigrees and impecable records of services to the nation.
He therefore urged them to bring their rich wealth of experience to bear on their new task.
In his response, the Committee Chairman, Major Gen. Alwali Jauji Kazir (rtd) assured the Minister of Defence of firm commitment to carry out the assigned task.
Kazir said this is with a view to emplacing envisioned robust, responsible and responsive Armed Forces capable of delivering results in today’s volatile and ambiguous environment.
It will be recalled that the Minister of Defence inaugurated the Reform Committee Chaired by the Air Vice Marshal Mohammed Ndatsu Umaru (rtd) in February this year.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated