The political crisis rocking the All Progressives Congress, (APC) are caused by governors under the auspices of the Nigerian Governors Forum, the lawmaker representing Ojomu/Balogun constituency in the Kwara State House of Assembly has said.
Popoola furthwr confirmed that the political crisis in both the ruling party and the country at large are caused by them, ROYAL NEWS reports.
He spoke during an interview with journalists in Ilorin under the NewsKeg, a platform where important personalities are brought to shed light on topical issues and organised by the NUJ Correspondents’ Chapel, Kwara State chapter.
Popoola said: the governors are the chief instigators of party crisis in their respective states and further frustrating efforts at granting autonomy to both local government’s and state assemblies despite President Mohammadu Buhari signing Executive Order 10, allowing for autonomy to relevant tiers of governance.”
According to him, “You can see for yourself what has happened with the Electoral Ammendament Bill, how they forced the president not to sign it into law.
“The NGF is too powerful and unless something is done about it, I am not sure we would have good governance in the country.”
He also spoke about his achievement as lawmaker, saying: “constituencies now look up to lawmakers to perform duties constitutionally meant to be performed by local government councils. All the local councils are now dead because the governors want it so.
“They are now bringing the same thing to APC and if care is not taken, what happened to APC in Anambra Governorship election might happen to the party across the country.”
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated