The British Deputy High Commissioner to Nigeria, Laure Beaufils, has assured that efforts would be made to ensure that the prevalent monkeypox disease is tackled.
The envoy stated this on Tuesday during her visit to the Kwara State chapter of the Federation of Women Lawyers in Ilorin, stressing that, “This outbreak is a very serious concern.”
According to her, “British Government is supporting the Government of Nigeria in addressing health, education and basic services in general and to ensure that the health of the population here goes from strength to strength.
Read also: What you need to know about ‘Monkeypox’
“We are monitoring the situation very closely with the World Health Organisation and we will be reviving our support as and when we go. We will be monitoring the situation closely and we provide through the Department for International Development about & 400m in aids to Nigeria every year in support of poverty reduction, health and education.
“Our support is wide, broad and deep and of-course we can not respond to every priority here and I hope the government itself, as well as the state governments will take responsibility and invest in health solutions to protect their people.”
She also spoke on the possibility of female presidency in Nigeria ahead of 2019 maintaining such move is realistic. She said: “absolutely (it is possible for Nigeria to have a female president.) I see no reason why not. I think girls ought to have that ambition. I think the moral model there are for young girls, the better. I hope to see many more women governors and ultimately a woman president. I think it will be a very good thing for the country.
” Of course, it is right. There is no right or wrong about it. A woman is just as able as a man. If it is going to happen in 2019, possibly not, because there are not got many women in very senior positions right now that are vying for the presidency, I do not think. But of course it should be possible.”
Read also: Monkeypox spreads to 7 states (Read details)
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house
- NiMet alerts on thick dust haze in Kano, Katsina, others
- Naira redesigned: Maximum cash withdrawal now N100,000
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity