A five-man panel of the apex court led by Justice Mary Peter-Odili ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to the All Progressives Congress’ candidate as the winners of the November 16, 2019 governorship election in the state.
The Apex Court ordered INEC to issue a fresh certificate of return to the candidate of the party with the next highest votes and with the required constitutional spread of votes in the results of the election, which are the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP).
Justice Ejembi Ekwo, who read the lead judgment made the orders after disqualifying the APC’s deputy governorship candidate, Degi-Eremienyo, as a candidate in the election.
The court upheld the November 12, 2019 judgment of the Federal High Court in Abuja which had disqualified Degi-Eremienyo in the election for submitting forged certificates to INEC.
The court ruled that Degi-Eremienyo’s disqualification had infected the joint ticket with which he and the governorship candidate, Lyon, ran for and won November 16, 2019.
The five-man panel further held that on the basis of that both candidates and their party, the APC ought to have abstained from participating in the election.
- PHOTO NEWS: How Late Galadiman Patigi, Dr. Alfa Saadu was buried in London
- Coronavirus Update: Nigeria’s cases increase to 184
- Lagos discharges 11 additional coronavirus patients
- COVID-19: TUYIL hails Kwara govt, donates N10million
- BREAKING….. KWARA BEGINS FUMIGATION OF MARKETS TONIGHT 7-11pm
- COVID-19: Germany Chancellor donates €5.5m to Nigerians
- Ogun governor assures of equality in palliatives distribution
- Saudi Arabia govt imposes 24hrs in Makkah, Madina city
- Coronavirus infection kills Philippines envoy
- Read what new KWASU VC says about his appointment
News3 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
Education5 months ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
News10 months ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
Politics4 months ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)
Politics5 months ago
EXPOSED…. Why Kwara Governor wants more women in his cabinet— Ajadi
Politics3 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen