The harvest of inter-party defection has continued to increase as two Senators from Bauchi and Imo States, on Wednesday resigned their membership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), respectively.
The lawmakers are Senator Dauda Jika representing Bauchi Central and elected on the platform of the APC; and Senator Ezenwa Francis Onyewuchi representing Imo East Senatorial District, who was elected on the platform of the PDP.
Both Senators in separate letters addressed to the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, conveyed their decision to resign their membership of the APC and PDP, to join the Labour Party (LP) and New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), respectively.
The APC lawmaker, Dauda Jika, in his letter said, “I hereby wish to notify you of my defection from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) whose ideals are in line with my political aspirations.”
Onyewuchi, on his part, said, “I wish to inform Mr. President and a distinguished Senators of my defection from the Peoples Democratic Party to the Labour Party.
“This is after due consultation with my family, constituents and supporters.
“This will enable me participate fully in the movement for a new Nigeria.”
Today’s defection brings the number of APC Senators to 66, with members of the minority parties standing at 43.
The minority parties in the Senate are presently five in number as at Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022.
They are: the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Young People’s Party (YPP), All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), and Labour Party (LP).
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Emir Sulu-Gambari set to install Balogun Gambari as most senior counsellor in Ilorin Emirate
- Divorce: JJC Skillz divorces Nollywood Star, Funke Akindele
- Gov Zulum directs promotion of deserving civil servants
- Kano APC Senator, Shekarau finally defects to NNPP
- Senate Confirms Buhari 7 Ministerial Norminees
- Fraud: Senate summons NIA boss over N/Delta activists’ blacklist by DSS
- Organ harvesting: Senate delegation to visit Ekweremadu, wife in London
- Ado-Ekiti Yahoo-Boy Jailed Two Years for Scam, Loses N13m Car to FG
- Money-politics affecting Nigeria’s political processes— Ex-Minister
- Kwara monarch introduces new currency for business activities in own community